Thursday, August 11, 2011

Mustard and Garlic Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Black Pepper, Coriander, and Thyme


Please tell me you own a mortar and pestle. Not only are they perfect for cracking spices and making marinades but they're also invaluable "I've had a bad day" therapy devices. You just mentally insert someone's face inside and go to town. It's genius. The crunch, crunch, crunch of whole spices getting obliterated underneath your hands...divine.

But enough about me and my psychosis. You don't own one, you say? Let's fix that:

Buy me!

Anyway this marinade makes me so, so happy. It's like Jesus slather for meat. I even over cooked the hell out of my pork last night and it still came out tender. And the leftovers - cold on a sandwich the next day? I'm slapping myself right now.

You probably could make this without a mortar and pestle (grind the spices in a spice grinder, mush the garlic with the back of a spoon and whip it all together) but it won't be near as gratifying as crunching and mushing and mashing together your own little witches potion. But then again you might not be as easily entertained as I am.

Mustard and Garlic Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Crushed Black Pepper, Coriander and Thyme
* This would also be fantastic with beef tenderloin or as a chicken marinade.

Ingredients:
2 garlic cloves, peeled and lightly smashed with the back of a knife
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablepsoon olive oil
1/4 cup dijon mustard
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 nice sized pork tenderloin

Instruction:
Mash the garlic in a mortar and pestle. Add the peppercorns, coriander, dried thyme and oil, then mix and crush the seeds and pepper as much as possible creating a nice paste (you don't need to mash every single seed - just crush as many as you can.) Add the dijon and salt mixing in until well blended.

Transfer the marinade to a large ziploc. Add the tenderloin, flipping it around in the bag to make sure it's well coated. Seal and refrigerate for at least 8 hours, or overnight.

Remove 30 minutes before cooking. Preheat the oven to 375. Line a medium rimmed baking sheet with parchment or aluminum foil and spray with nonstick spray. Remove the pork from the bag and scrape off any excess lumps or big chunks and excess liquid.

Roast at 375 for 25 minutes, then raise the heat to 425 and cook another 10-15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes, lightly tented with foil before slicing and serving.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Jesus slather!! LOL.. I like that!!
Man, I've never been so happy that I have a mortar and pestle before :) This sounds delicious!!!

StephenC said...

You have my admiration for admitting the pork was over-cooked. It's obvious from the photo. The marinade saved the day, though. Here's a solution for next time around: brine the pork for several hours. Then rinse it and apply the marinade. Then cook it to 140-145 degrees maximum. This will be so good you will want to marry me. (Sorry, my boyfriend of 30+ plus years and I were married here in DC 2 months ago.) Eat your heart out.

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Jenn - Thanks doll! And yes kitchen gadgets make me VERY happy...

StephenC - you LOVE you some brine!

Unknown said...

LOL< you crack me up! I think this looks heavenly.