Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Savory Double Cheese Crackers a.k.a. What to drink with your Champagne on NYE


Actually these crackers are good with just about anything to drink from Coca Cola to milk, though my sister would like to cast her vote for red wine. We like our ripple, what can I say?

But the real beauty to these is that you can make them ahead, keep a log in your fridge for up to three weeks and slice and bake when needed. Because there's no egg in the dough, you're good to go. You can also bake them off and freeze them and then just reheat in a low oven. But I can't imagine there being any left to freeze once you've baked them. As soon as that savory cheddary goodness hits the air waves in my house, it's game over.

Although Rebecca suggests using your mixer to put these together, you can also use a good old wooden spoon and large bowl. Just be sure your butter is at room temp and to cream it thoroughly with the cheese before adding the rest of the ingredients. My little Kitchen Aid struggled a bit (the dough gets very stiff) so I ended up dumping everything into a large bowl and finishing mixing them by hand. You'll appreciate having done the arm exercise afterwards, trust me.

So what apps are you making for NYE and what are your plans?

Savory Double Cheese Crackers
* Adapted from Rebecca Rather
* Don't slice these too thin or they won't come out 'crackery'. Remember they won't rise much so what you cut is what you'll end up with when they come out.
* If I were you, I'd double the recipe since it keeps so well:)

Ingredients:
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, at room temp
2 cups freshly grated extra sharp Cheddar cheese (about 8 oz)
1 cup grated Parmesan or Manchego (about 4 oz)
1 cup all purpose flour (use a light hand when measuring or sift the flour first)
1/4 teaspoon table salt plus a healthy pinch
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3/4 teaspoon mustard powder (I prefer Coleman's brand)
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans or walnuts

Directions:
Using an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and cheeses on medium speed until combined, about 1 minute. Add the flour, salt and cayenne pepper, dried mustard and paprika and beat on low speed until combined. Stir in the pecans or walnuts. Divide the dough in half; shape each half into a roll about 2 inches in diameter and 8 to 10 inches long. Wrap in wax paper and chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.

Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease baking sheets with butter or cooking spray or line with silicone liners. Unwrap the dough and slice into scant 1/4-inch rounds. Place the rounds on the prepared baking sheets about ½ inch apart. Bake until the cookies are lightly browned around the edges and crisp, about 10 minutes.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

These look delish and savory & hearty. I am not sure what we will eat, I am making beer dip & maybe some sliders!

ashley @ ashley's adventures in alaska said...

These sound soooo good! Who doesn't love cheese? We have no plans for NYE yet- isn't that awful!? We may just make ourselves a fabulous dinner and enjoy the fireworks in town.

AllThingsYummy said...

I'm keeping it simple: baked brie, crackers, grapes and apple slices.
Can't wait to ring in the New Year.

Amy at TheSceneFromMe said...

I agree with Ashley, who doesn't love cheese! I know my husband would love these as much as me! Yummy!

Thomas Bartle said...

Sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing!!!!

Heidi said...

I've never made crackers before and feel like it is just about time. I'm making steamed shrimp, Pineapple Cheese Ball, and other foods that fall under the category: Finger Food Fantasy. Happy New Year!

Brownieville Girl said...

I plan to hibernate for NYE!!

Love these crackers - will have to make them very soon as they will not be allowed in my New Year diet!!!!

Chef Dennis Littley said...

I have never made crackers, but it would be hard to resist those little beauties you baked up, I may have to give it a try!!
Nice to meet you!
Dennis

Unknown said...

I love love love cheesy crackers!! I could eat my weight in them!
I have no idea what I'm doing for NYE...ugh....it's almost hard to believe another year is almost done already!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

I love the idea of being able to have these on hand to just slice, bake and you're good to go. Great idea with champagne.

Happy new year.
Sam

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

A great appetizer! Those must be very flavorful and enjoyable.

Happy New Year!

Cheers,

Rosa

Reeni said...

I'm staying in and eating an entire batch of these crackers all by myself! I can see they have addictive qualities! Happy New Year! xoxo

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Jennifurla - tell me more about this beer dip!

Ashley - not at all. My favorite thing to do on NYE is stay at home with a good meal and bottle of wine;) Too many crazies out tonight!

All Things Yummy - that sounds perfect! Hard to beat brie and apples!

Amy - Thanks for stopping by. I need to head over to your blog!

Thomas - Happy New Year! We SO enjoyed your sis's cupcakes at Christmas. They are incredible!

Heidi - love the sounds of your cheese ball! You guys are going to have quite the feast!

Brownieville Girl - yes sneak them in now before it's too late;)

Chef Dennis - thanks for stopping by! I frequent your blog often. Hope to hear more from you in the New Year!

Jenn - I could too! Hope you're enjoying the last bit of free time with your hubs and family! I don't know where it all went girlfriend! :(

My Carolina Kitchen - you said it Sam! Perfect with Champagne!

Rosa's Yum Yums - Thank you! Happy New Year to you and yours as well!

Reeni - ha ha ha! I'm all about the staying in - have a wonderful and safe NYE dear girl!!

Diana's Cocina said...

These look awesome! We had a bon fire with steak and potatoes, YUM!