Monday, August 30, 2010

The Juiciest Most Flavorful Roast Chicken in the World.


Would I lie to y'all? No. And just to cover my bases my teeth are also straight as arrows and I have no cellulite on my entire body. Seriously it's like a baby seal that's been shellacked in marble.

Okay now I feel better in case you don't find this recipe to be as delectable as I do. But either way it's pretty damn good.

The secret is the marinade which you have to let the chicken soak in for 24 hours. Any less than that and you'll get good chicken but not quite the juiciest-most-flavorful-roast-chicken-in-the-world so follow my directions por favor. I don't need the hate mail.

By the by, this marinade also makes the most delicious crispy skin but of course you can substitute boneless skinless chicken breasts if you like. Just be sure to reduce the cooking time and temp.

I admit to not comprehending the fascination with chicken skin until recently. Turns out I wasn't getting it crispy enough. I like mine with the fat all but completely rendered out leaving behind just a thin, crispy chip-like layer of deliciousness.

Hmm...chicken skin chips. I can see that one catching on. For real. In Williamsburg. Or even here in Austin. After all I had thought the whole haute hillbilly food fad was finally going away until I picked up the latest issue of Food and Wine. Apparently at the end of the day, all of us just want to eat something deep fried. With cheese. And preferably between a bun.

What's your favorite southern dish?

Juiciest, Most Flavorful Chicken Marinade
* Enough for 3 bone-in, skin on breasts or 4 boneless, skinless cutlets.

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
2 fat green onions, sliced
3 tablespoons chopped red onion
3/4 cup orange juice
juice of 1 lemon, the leftover lemon cut up and added to marinade
4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon kosher salt
good grating fresh cracked black pepper
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon honey
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil

3 skin on, bone-in split breasts (technically 1 1/2 breasts, I believe)
olive oil
salt and pepper

Instructions:
Mix up the marinade ingredients (the red pepper flakes through the olive oil) in a large ziploc or tupperware container making sure you whisk to get everything mixed thoroughly, trying to dissolve the salt at least a little. Add the chicken, seal to smush around, and marinate for 24 hours in the fridge, turning bag over once midway. Remove 30 minutes before roasting.

Preheat your oven to 425. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil (optional for easy cleanup) and spray with nonstick spray. Remove the chicken from the marinade and pat dry. Remove any clinging herbs/garlic and place skin side up on your prepared tray. Drizzle the tops oh so lightly with oil and sprinkle very lightly with salt and pepper.

Roast for 15 minutes, then turn the heat down to 375 and cook for another 20 minutes just until the skin is nice and crisped and the chicken is cooked all the way through. I can usually tell mine are done when there's an ugly (but harmless) bed of blackened juices collected around the bottoms. (You can also turn the broiler on for the last 3 minutes to get the skin crispier if it's not there yet.)

Let rest for 7 minutes before serving.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE the skin, but like you, I want it to be chip like crisp! When my dad would carve the turkey at Thanksgiving, I'd always stand next to him and just wait...sooner or later he'd just start feeding me the skin little by little!! MMMMMM!!! This chicken sounds wonderful. Summer is almost over, it's almost time to wonderful things in my oven again.. I believe this will be one of them!!
By the way, my favorite southern dish.....fried okra :) mmmmmm!!

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Dude this sounds amazing!! I am LOVING the flavors in the marinade/brine. I can only imagine (rather than taste as I don't have a whole chicken right now, that'll change!) how good this is. The skin is beauty too!!

I, like you, was very ambivalent about chicken skin until recently. I made a roast chicken Thomas Keller style and holy cow, that was GOOD!! Like you said, chicken skin chips. We need to go into business together, girl! :)

Velva said...

I am saving this recipe. Love it! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Debra "Deb" Dresden Disney-Dior said...

Thanks to Velva and Jenn for their warm congratulations on my winning Alisa's FIRST giveaway. If I missed someone, ooops, my apologies. I'm overwhelmed. I didn't know I had won, until a few minutes ago. Okay, an hour ago -- maybe longer because I'm STILL trying to figure out what screen name I use on blogs and time is ticking on. I'm over the moon! I thought ANOTHER Debra had won. I'm unsure if there IS another Debra, on this list, but I was convinced I wasn't THAT Debra. I AM! YAY! As soon, as I figure out what I'm going to order -- Le Creuset or Halloween things -- I'll let you know as soon as I decided. OMG! I'm shocked that SO much time has passed. I thought I'd better post "my thanks" under this chicken post, or it would never be read. I'm tickled pink -- is there any OTHER color? All in all, I'm happy that my name was pulled out of the hat! I "am" lucky -- at last!

Ooooh, yes, I WILL try this chicken recipe!

Night all!
Debra

lisa is cooking said...

There's nothing like good and crispy chicken skin! And, this marinade sounds great for chicken.

Chef Bee said...

I'm trying this one. This looks and sounds amazing. My family loves chicken and could eat it every day which can be a challenge. Thanks for sharing.

Plan B