Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Frank in Austin and why I must go to there.





1. They serve their drinks in Mason jars.
2. They have bacon infused vodka.
3. They have chocolate dipped bacon.
4. The place is freaking adorable - like a general store from the 1800's as envisioned by Kubrick.
5. It's cheap. An old school jalapeno cheese dog will cost you $3.50 while a specialty sausage dog (everything from venison to rabbit to anything in between) goes for $7.50 - still pennies compared to Trulucks across the street or anything else in the Warehouse District.
6. The Jackalope - their signature antelope/rabbit/pork blend weenie covered in huckleberry jam, Sriracha aioli, and applewood smoked cheddar (pictured above.) Mary might have craved this when she was pregnant with Jesus.
7. Their appreciation for waffle fries and the plentiful ways in which they serve them including 'nacho style' (also pictured above) and Poutine style with cheese curds and gravy.
8. You can order any dog 'pork it' style - wrapped in bacon and deep fried. Anyone who's eaten at Crif Dog in NYC knows better than to turn their nose up at this. In fact anyone who's been to a state fair should know better than to turn their nose up at this.
9. Frank isn't one of those restaurants trying to bring something 'extra' to Austin - on the contrary it's one of the restaurants that makes Austin more Austin just by being here.
10. The alcoholic ice cream float. The only invention known to man to actually allow one to span time. One sip and you're both 12 and 21 at the same time and not a day older.

Visit Frank on the interwebs here.

12 comments:

Velva said...

Amen! I can see why you would want to hang out here!

Unknown said...

Can I come and stay with you? I think this would be more then just a "day trip" for us!! OMG...you said Sriracha aioli!!!!!!!

Siri said...

I will go to there with you.

La Bella Cooks said...

Sounds like that is the place to be! Bacon infused vodka? I am there!

Diana's Cocina said...

I love this place. My nephew live in Austin and We try to visit him often :). Wish I was with you!!

Laura said...

"Mary might have craved this when she was pregnant with Jesus."

LOL, awesome! Best food description I've heard in months!

lisa is cooking said...

I still haven't been to Franks. The rabbit sausage has me very intrigued, and those waffle fry nachos are definitely calling my name!

Reeni said...

I'll meet you there!!!!!!! I want some nachos! And chocolate dipped bacon...

Pam said...

I want to go there! That float sounds pretty good and potent!

Haley said...

how did i miss this place the whole time i lived in austin??? what tha heck.

Lynn said...

Those waffle fries look amazing. Why have I never seen waffle fries in Calif.? I want some.

Heidi said...

You had me at the mason jars, but then the alcoholic ice cream float confirmed it. I need a trip to Austin, soon!