Saturday, October 24, 2009

Halloween Recipe Pairing - Scooby Doo and Scooby Snacks



Scooby Doobie Doo...Where are you...

To this day I adore this show (aside from the Scrappy episodes - not a fan.) And when I have downtime during the fall, I love to put in a dvd of this 70's classic, particularly while I'm whipping up some Halloween recipes. And as far as Scooby snacks - something you can NOT get enough of - I volunteer these Ranch flavored oyster crackers. My old neighbor, Cassie, would make these growing up and I thought they were crack cocaine in edible form, even at the age of 13. Oddly enough, my husband doesn't find them as scrumptious as I do, and suggests they would work better as croutons. While I think this is a novel idea, what the hell is wrong with the man?

Scooby Snacks (Ranch style crackers)

Ingredients:
1 (10 oz pkg) oyster crackers
1 (1 oz pkg) Ranch dressing mix (the dry powder form)
1/2 teaspoon dried dill
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 275. Grease a large, rimmed baking sheet with nonstick spray and set aside. Place the dressing mix, dried dill, salt and oil in a large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly. Add the crackers and stir for several minutes (sounds ridiculous, but you'd be amazed at how long it takes those damn cracker to soak up that oil) until there is no longer excess dressing at the bottom of the bowl and the crackers have given into its power. Spread them out on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes, or just until lightly golden. Cool on the sheet then serve or transfer to an air tight container and store for up to 1 week.

No comments: