Monday, April 13, 2009

Wasabi Pea-Crusted Salmon



This dish was supposed to be a beautiful green color. However, I managed to buy the only package of yellow wasabi peas in the whole world, which I didn't realize until I got home.

So ignore the pale, unappetizing color of the salmon in my photo and know that when you make yours - you'll have a beautiful, Jolly Green Giant colored crust instead.

I got the idea of using wasabi peas from Andrea Immer. But her method of pan frying the salmon seemed like a potential disaster to me. I worried the peas would just fall off into the skillet with this method - especially during the flipping - so I decided to bake mine instead.

The result was damn delicious, even if a little anemic looking:(

Wasabi Pea-Crusted Salmon
Serves 2.

Ingredients:
2 (6 oz) salmon fillets
1/2 cup Wasabi peas (gently smashed in a ziploc with a pan or mallet) mixed with 1 tablespoon Panko breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons light/reduced fat mayo, or even plain yogurt
salt and pepper
olive oil - about a teaspoon for drizzling

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350. Prepare a small baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying with nonstick spray. Place the salmon fillets, skin side down, on the tray.

Using a pastry brush, coat the tops of the fillets with the mayo (this will be your 'glue' for the wasabi peas.) Season the fillets with salt and pepper, then carefully add the pea mixture, coating the top with a nice layer. Drizzle lightly with the olive oil and bake for 8-10 minutes for medium rare, or 12-15 for well done.

No comments: