Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Melt in your Mouth Lamb Meatloaf with Rosemary, Sundried Tomatoes and Balsamic Vinegar



I know it's not nice to play favorites, but life's too short not to express your true feelings about things. I love this meatloaf. It is quite possibly my favorite recipe. And while obviously it's not the lightest thing on the planet, containing three kinds of meat and bundled in prosciutto like an edible football, it is surprisingly light on the palate. I also love the twist of the balsamic vinegar replacing the obligatory ketchup, which I love to douse over once I've sliced and plated it. The meat soaks it up like a sponge which I find fascinating. It almost makes me lament all those times I fell asleep in during science.

I have made this meatloaf with both ground turkey to cut the lamb's gaminess and ground sirloin - both are delicious but the sirloin definitely wins the 'over the top' award, creating the most velvety, embarrassingly rich texture. This recipe is also one of the world's precious and few that actually reheats well, tasting as perfect and rewarding and bright as the moment it was baked.

Okay - no more from me on this one - if I say anything else, it's bound to make my beloved meat a disappointment.

Melt in Your Mouth Lamb Meatloaf with Rosemary, Sundried Tomatoes, and Balsamic Vinegar

Ingredients:
1 lb ground lamb
1/2 pound ground turkey or pork or sirloin
1 egg
3 tablespoons chopped sundried tomatoes (the kind packed in oil, lightly drained - usually about 8-10)
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, plus extra for serving
1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
fresh cracked pepper
2 slices of prosciutto, minced plus 3-4 slices for wrapping around the loaf
1/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a small rimmed baking sheet and set aside.
Add the ground lamb and secondary meat (pork or turkey or sirloin) to a large mixing bowl. In a second mixing bowl, crack and lightly beat the egg. Stir in the sundried tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, rosemary, salt, pepper, minced prosciutto. When all is incorporated, fold in the bread crumbs. Add this mixture to the ground meat and carefully stir together until just incorporated (don't over mix or you will have a tough meatloaf.) Place the meat onto your greased board, patting gently into a 'loaf' shape. Wrap with the extra prosciutto slices, trying to space them evenly while covering the entire exterior.

Bake the loaf for 55 minutes. Remove and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with extra balsamic for people to pour over.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Though I tend to ease up on the balsamic vinegar, when I make this meatloaf people love it!

Michael said...

I can't help but to agree, I think this might be the best meatloaf I've ever had the pleasure of eating.

Was this your own recipe or from somewhere else?

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Thanks so much Michael! It's mine and I rarely get to make it because not many people I know like lamb. I must be friends with the wrong people;)