Monday, February 2, 2009

Herbed Turkey Burgers with Swiss on Toasted English Muffins




Superbowl Sunday was really weird this year. I didn't have a single cocktail, didn't make or eat any party food, and spent most of it sitting in front of my computer working, wistfully glancing over at the TV now and then. It was like I'd switched lives with someone boring and responsible. I didn't like that person.

The only good thing that came of it was these turkey burgers. I've had to resort to making my own since my favorite neighborhood take out place (yes WESTVILLE, you) started putting entire garlic cloves in their patties. It doesn't make for a sexy night of couch surfing, I'll tell you. In fact the last time I ate theirs I wished I could have had my tongue surgically removed.

But I did add a little Superbowl touch to mine, as I'd bought some French Onion dip for the boyfriend, and added a little to the patty mixture. You could easily substitute sour cream or even Greek yogurt if your fridge doesn't usually house such college student/bachelor pad ingredients...

Herbed Turkey Burgers with Swiss on Toasted English Muffins
Makes 5 small to medium patties.

Ingredients:
1 pound lean ground turkey
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1 tablespoon french onion dip or sour cream
2 tablespoons panko or other breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon finely minced chives
1 teaspoon finely minced flat leaf parsley
1 clove of garlic, finely minced (if you really want to taste the garlic - use 2)
zest of 1 small lemon
1/2 teaspoon salt

fresh cracked pepper and salt, for seasoning outside of patties
1 teaspoon olive oil, for frying burgers

5 Swiss cheese slices (or 10 if you're like my husband)
5 halved, toasted English muffins

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 350. Take the turkey meat out of the fridge and let sit out for 30 minutes (to allow for easier combining.) Add the meat to a large bowl and sprinkle over the rest of the ingredients - the coriander to the 1/2 teaspoon salt. Mix (I prefer to use my hands - but feel free to use a large spoon) until well combined, but be careful not to over work - otherwise you'll fry up some darling little slabs of concrete:) Form into five (or four large) turkey patties, season with salt and pepper, and set aside. Heat a large, nonstick pan over medium/high heat, adding the olive oil and allowing to heat for 1 minute. Add burgers, cooking 4-5 minutes per side. Transfer to a greased, rimmed baking sheet and top with the Swiss slices. Put in the oven for 10 minutes, to finish cooking and allow the cheese to melt. Place on toasted English muffins, and top with herbed mayo, if desired.

Herbed Mayo (optional - for spreading on burgers:)
1/4 cup light mayo
1 tablespoon minced fresh basil
zest of 1 lemon

No comments: