Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Double Cut Pork Chops and Lots of Cumin





Pork is quickly becoming one of my favorite things to eat and cook. I have always been terrified to attempt the giant restaurant style 'double cut' chops myself, afraid they'd end up charred on the outside and raw on the inside by the time I was done with them.

No more. I have conquered my fears and so can you. There are three simple steps to a tasty chop:

1. A healthy dose of seasoning which the chops should wear for at least 4 hours and up to to overnight to fully soak up the flavor.
2. Getting your pan nice and hot enough to sear both sides of the chops.
3. Transferring them to the oven to finish baking (BUT NEVER OVERBAKING. OVERCOOKING IS PORK'S NUMBER ONE OFFENDER.)

I have my favorite blend of seasonings listed below but this is easily adjustable depending on your own tastes.

I also feel that starting with the best chops you can find (from the butcher) is a serious bonus. I was lucky enough to buy these from Faicco's (whom I professed my love for many posts ago.) I have never in my life felt a pork chop so soft to the touch. They felt like pillows, which was bizarre but fascinating. But if your pork chop selection is limited, stick them in brine for a few hours (this is a secret to making any meat far juicier than its genetics or processing ever destined it to be.)

I am horrible about writing down measurements while I experiment in the kitchen, but that's okay with this recipe. Honestly, you could do all of the seasoning using pinches versus breaking out the measuring spoons, adding a little more cumin than the other ingredients and a hefty sprinkling of fennel seeds. For each double cut, bone-in pork chop, sprinkle over EACH SIDE roughly:

1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon coriander
scant tablespoon fennel seeds

Rub all over the chops, including fatty edges and bone, wrap in plastic wrap (or can throw all in a large ziploc), and refrigerate at least 4 hours or up to overnight. I am purposely leaving out salt for now which if added at this stage will pull all of the moisture out of the meat.

Remove chops from fridge 45 minutes before cooking. Preheat oven to 375 (I like to serve roast cauliflower and brussels spouts with this which I liberally bathe in olive oil, cumin, sea salt and pepper then roast for 20-25 minutes turning once before adding the chops to the oven, then continuing to roast while the pork bakes then rests until veggies are char-crisped making them ugly but very tasty.)

For the chops, add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of your pan and place over a burner on medium-high heat. You want to get a good sear on the chops, so pan should be hot enough to sizzle when you drop them in but not smoking.

Press any of the wayward fennel seeds back into the chops, then sprinkle both sides with sea salt and add to the pan to sear (cooking 3-4 minutes per side, depending on size of chops.) Remove from heat and transfer to an aluminum foil lined, rimmed baking sheet.

Put chops in the oven for 15-20 minutes, either until a meat thermometer registers read 160 or the meat 'springs back' when you touch it. (I live on the wild side hear, pulling mine out at 150 as they continue to cook after removal, but if leery, listen to the USDA on this one and not me.) Remember to check your chops early, as again, overcooking is a tragedy that cannot be undone.

Allow meat to rest at least 10 minutes before serving so the juices can redistribute.

* I found to my delight that as the chops rested, a wonderful amber colored sauce pooled around them - a delicious natural gravy resulting from the brown sugar and spices melding and mixing with the juice from the chops. DO NOT throw this out but pour over the chops after you plate them.

Until next time...

No comments: